Sunday, February 2, 2025

You Find What You Look For

 
Feb 2025 Blog post:  Waiting for a Leaf to Fall


 I was able to attend a workshop this weekend and they asked if you were invited to go see a movie and the synopsis you were given was that the main character starts out with this perfect life- everything going for them, happy relationships, satisfied with work responsibilities, healthy body, strong faith and then in the middle of the story everything is going well for them, relationships are happy, work is great, body is healthy, faith is strong, and then at the end they continue to have no struggles and life is amazing with no challenges or sadness… would you want to see the movie?  No!  Overcoming the challenges- finding strength in the struggle- building character and faith and love- this is what life is all about!

 So we seek a perfect life- in fact, we often portray our perfect life through social media and to the world… but when I thought about this, I realized that at least for me, that perfection doesn’t inspire me quite like the underdog story does.  Watching someone stand up after they fall, rebuild after tragedy, reconcile after hurt- that’s where the inspiration comes into play.  So why do we put so much effort into hiding our struggles?  Not sharing our wins? 

As followers of Jesus Christ, we have promised to mourn with those that mourn and comfort those that stand in need of comfort.  And when we get that opportunity?  We feel honored.  I remember when a dear friend learned of a family member passing, and when I went to her house, in her sadness she just cried- and that made me cry- so we cried together.  And afterwards? We both felt a little stronger.  A little more at peace.  It was beautiful!  Had she not opened up and shared her heart, I wouldn’t have had that experience. 

In another experience, I attended a silent retreat with a dear friend.  When talking later, she told of a leaf she had seen fall and how in this weekend where there was no discussion, no reading, no cell phones, this leaf falling felt truly magical to her.  She looked around to see who else had seen so she could share it with them, but no one was watching.

Today as I went out for a walk, I was thinking about what I would share at testimony meeting, as I’ve borne my testimony of Jesus Christ and His love for us every February for the past 19 years in memory of my son Luke… but nothing was coming to mind.  I began to offer a prayer that Heavenly Father would bless me with some inspiration as to what I could share when a leaf hit the ground in front of me.  Do you know what that means?  That means that that leaf began falling before I even uttered my prayer- Heavenly Father KNEW I would feel His love- knew I would feel seen by Him- if He dropped that leaf at my feet. 

And I did- I immediately felt loved and seen because I knew He was there to share my joy in seeing it fall.  I thought of the many people in my life who have shared in my joys as well as my sorrows, and I felt so loved.  So seen.  I’m so grateful for a Savior that encourages us to share in the joys and the sorrows of others- to lift, to love, to serve in anyway you can!

 I’m grateful for Christ’s example when He asked God to remove the cup from Him.  He didn’t hide how difficult His struggle was- He asked for help!  When Lazarus died, He didn’t lock himself in a room to cry, the scriptures tell us Jesus wept.  I hope we can all be a little braver to share our hearts- the celebrations and the struggles- because that’s the only way we can really help each other- and that’s what this life is all about- becoming like Christ.  Loving as He does- sharing the joys of others as well as the heartaches.  .   

When I see someone rise above a challenge, I feel like I’ve risen above the challenge.  When I see a team win, I feel like I won!  When I have had the sacred opportunity to hold someone as they cry, or to pray that they may find peace, I feel that pure love of Christ for them and for me, just as He promised we would when we walk in His footsteps. I feel lighter and loved and connected to Him and the people I share with more deeply.

 I am so grateful for our Father in Heaven- grateful that He causes those leaves to fall before we even finish our prayer.  Grateful that when those leaves don’t fall- when we don’t receive answers we are seeking in the timeline we prefer, we are blessed with those around us willing to pray and comfort and support us until we find peace.  Even on the darkest night, morning really does eventually come- but until then, how grateful I am for a Savior willing to carry the burden with us, personally or through the hands of others.  Hug your loved ones- and know that families are forever.

No comments:

You Find What You Look For

  Feb 2025 Blog post:  Waiting for a Leaf to Fall   I was able to attend a workshop this weekend and they asked if you were invited to go se...