"Families
are Forever day is the anniversary of the day we lost our oldest son,
Luke. Luke is the oldest by 9 minutes. His twin brother
Logan is currently serving a Spanish-speaking mission for our church in Ft.
Collins, Colorado. Luke passed away unexpectedly from an undiagnosed
heart condition while my husband James was on a business trip and I had taken the boys to
visit my parents and siblings. I was 6 months pregnant with our son
Tyler at the time.
When
Luke passed away, James and I decided three things. We
would not hate God, we would not let this break our marriage, and we would look
for Luke in our joy. I am only going to focus on the first one-
we would not hate God. At the time I remember thinking that I
didn’t want to pray, didn’t want to read scriptures, didn’t want to do any of
the “church answers.” I was hurt and confused and lost. I decided
that I would do the bare minimum to check the boxes because that’s the
best I could do. I would let the habits take over until I was ready to do more.
I
remember opening the scriptures and letting my eyes fall on a word or
two. I remember praying by basically telling Heavenly Father I don’t
know why this happened and I’m praying because I’m supposed to. I remember
praying to be numb so the pain could stop.
As
I prepared this talk, I was going to share how as time went on I was able
to move from checking boxes to living with righteous intent, but the more I
pondered and prayed and wrote, the more I realized that my intent at that time
wasn’t to check boxes. My intent at that time was to maintain a
connection to my Father in Heaven, and I accomplished that by checking the
boxes. All these years, I’d been judging
myself harshly for something I could have felt good about- wanting to maintain
a connection to God through trial.
Instead I focused on how “other people” face tragedy by diving into
their scriptures or pouring their hearts out in prayer, and that wasn’t
me. In writing this, I realized
something life-changing for me: those
moments I chose kneel down, to touch my scriptures, think about God or the
plan, or even just get out of bed- I was reaching out to my Father in Heaven. I
was showing Him the desire of my heart- the desire to be faithful- the
desire to trust Him even though I felt like nothing made sense.
If you are in a place
where you are struggling- where checking the boxes is all you can do- it may be
that your intent is actually in the right place after all.
I have felt so inadequate to speak to you today because though I know I have some areas I genuinely strive to live with righteous intent, there are also areas I am just checking boxes. I feel like it’s important to remember that this is a gospel of joy and that we have a Savior who loves us and willingly carries our burdens. We also have a Father in Heaven that knows the true intent of our hearts. You aren’t hiding anything from Him. If there’s an area you can improve, He already knows- He’s just waiting for the opportunity to help you face it.
I
believe there is a plan of happiness, and when we keep our focus on where we
are headed- when we focus on moving in a positive direction, applying
those principles that we learn of in the scriptures a little better each day,
we are doing it right. Life is not easy- we are not perfect- we will
have minor setbacks- we may have major setbacks- but as long as we examine
our intent for our actions often, adjusting as necessary, and allow ourselves
grace as we learn, we can build our relationship with our Savior and become
more in line with the person we have the capacity to be.
We
are children of God. We have a purpose. We are individuals and
God loves us as such. He doesn’t want us to do things because
he says so- He wants us to do them because we want to be our best selves,
and we know He, as an all-knowing Father, can help us figure out how to do
that."
So that’s what I learned this year. 😊 As for our special day, I began by teaching a very special yoga class I had prepared using songs that meant something special to our family as well as songs about resilience and faith. A few of the miracles surrounding the class were: 1. on the way over I heard a song that mentioned daisies (“Luke’s flower” in my book) and 2. the roofers were not working (20 minutes of last week’s class was quite noisy when accompanied by their banging hammers!), and 3. I made it through the class without crying, but rather feeling strong and grateful.
I’ve been worried about how this year would go-the first year without Logan here to celebrate with us- but as Katie and I walked outside after yoga, I smiled because it was raining. Logan loves the song “Holes in the Floor of Heaven” and it always reminded him that Luke was near. That rain not only reminded me that Luke was near, but also that Logan wasn’t alone either, and that makes me happy. I love to think of them serving this mission together. We ate a delicious meal, wrote our messages to Luke on our balloons and then sent them up in the rain that had subsided a bit for our release. Tyler’s balloon ascended the fastest- he said it was because it was a shark and sharks swim well through water. James and I were able to chat with Logan briefly during Katie’s volleyball practice as well, which meant so much to me. It hurt my heart a little this year as I realized Luke is the only one for whom James and I sign “Daddy & Mommy," but it makes me happy too to realize life has continued and it's really, really great. Our kiddos are growing up fast and time with them at home is short. I guess it just makes it mean that much more to me to know time doesn’t stop our family being a family- near, far, together, apart- Families are forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment